Microsoft Windows XP SP3Tech ·
I have been looking into this and have found an amusing number of mishaps and problems with XP SP3.
- Was held up for a week before being released, because of incompatibilities with some of MS own software
- Completely crashed HP computers with AMD chipsets, with no known way of recovery.
- Stopped remote access to Windows Home Server machines.
- Put some computers into an infinite reboot loop.
- Stopped some computers from being able to boot, or even being able to access the bios!!!
- Is incompatible with some software, such as ATI’s catalyst
So, some interesting things with XPs SP3. This could be a number of things. It could be, that Microsoft have become lax with their coding, as the endless reboot also appeared in some Vista SP1 upgrades. It could be Microsoft with their “Screw you…upgrade” attitude…or they might just not be caring about anyone who is using Windows XP, so don’t need to check their patches beforehand.
All in all, I think it would be wise for any unfortunate XP users not to upgrade to SP3 until all the problems are fixed. I’m not sure what SP3 actually adds to XP, or whether it is just more to slow your computer down to make you go out and buy a new one with Vista on it, but only time will tell.